OLED will need their pins replaced with the low profile pins provided. Here is an easy way of accomplishing this:
Pics to come
- Solder Sucker or Desoldering gun.
- Third Hand (Optional)
Unwrap the OLED display from its original bag. You’ll notice a set of 4 pins already attached. Let’s remove them. Here are the steps:
- Take your snips and pinch them in between the pins to separate the pins individually.
- Take a solder sucker to the top solder joints and remove the solder as best as possible.
- Heat up one pin at a time from the top and use your snips to pull each pin downward one at a time.
- After all pins are removed, remove any excess solder from the holes of the OLED
- Take the new low profile pins and insert them into the oled holes.
- Slide the pin set in from the bottom. Solder the new pins on the top of the OLED.
Note: I found that once the pins are separated from their black plastic housing they will remove very easily instead of struggling to remove them all at once as a unit. Once the black plastic is cut between the pins may fall off which will help when finding an area to grab onto the pins with a pinch or a snips.